The Medical Women Association of Tanzania (MEWATA) is a Non Governmental, non partisan and non religious voluntary organisation established and officially registered in 1989 to address the interests of medical and dental women professionals; by promoting their education, improving their standards for professional competences fostering solidarity and linkages, encouraging and promoting research while advocating for policy changes in the health sector.
To arrive to these goals, MEWATA has been maintaining liaison with its members through general assembly meetings conducted on annual bases. In continuation of this tradition, MEWATA organised its 12th Annual General Meeting that took place on 22nd and 23rd January, 2011 at the prominent NSSF Water Front Hall.
The meeting assembled over 100 participants; including government representatives, MEWATA members of all clusters and from different regions of Tanzania; others were invited guests from various organisations both local and international and media representatives. The guest of Honour in the meeting was Deputy Minister, Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Hon. Dr. Lucy Nkya (MP) and the Master of Ceremony was Ms. Vicky Ntetema (a friend of MEWATA).
The objectives of the meeting which included among other things;
- To discuss health issues related to our women in our country and how they impact on their development,
- To design more innovative programs to address women’s health issues in Tanzania,
- To conduct MEWATA 12th Annual General Meeting where members meet and review the progress of MEWATA and elect new MEWATA leaders.
- MEWATA UPDATES ON CERVICAL CANCER INTERVENTIONS IN MWANZA REGION BETWEEN 2014 AND 2016
- 17th MEWATA ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING NOVEMBER 2016
- 15th MEWATA ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING NOVEMBER 2015
- 65th session of WHO Regional Committee for Africa, in N'Djamena, Republic of Chad, 31 August- 4 Sept 2015
- Kahama Breast and Cervical cancer screening campaign